Many dog owners like to flaunt their baking skills because they love their canines. These individuals surf the web or magazines for dog recipes that sound tasty and are fairly easy to make.
Here is a Pumpkin Applesauce treat to add to any dog owner’s recipe collection.
1/2 cup pumpkin puree
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
2 3/4 cups whole wheat flour
3 large eggs unshelled
1/2 cup ground flax seed
1 cup wheat germ
1/2 cup olive oil
1 tablespoon honey
2 large baking sheet
Parchment paper (optional)
2 large mixing bowls
Whisk or mixer
Utensils – spoons
Cookie cutters (optional)
Cooling rack (optional
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line two large baking sheets with parchment (or grease with cooking spray).
- In one of the large bowls, mix the whole wheat flour, the wheat germ, and the flaxseed together.
- In the other large bowl, mix the eggs, olive oil, pumpkin, applesauce, and honey until the mixture is smooth.
- Combine all dry ingredients with the wet ingredients until all ingredients are thoroughly blended and the contents is a dough-like consistency.
- Roll out the dough out about 1/4-inch thick on the parchment paper.
If you have cookie cutters, cut out shapes in the dough and set each an inch apart on the baking sheets with or without parchment paper.
- Bake shapes for 30 minutes, or until the treats are a golden brown in color and are very hard.
After baking time and desired consistency, cool the biscuits on a cooling rack. Serve up the treats, after all, have cooled sufficiently to the touch.
Dogs will enjoy these treats!