Over the past years, I have attempted and tested a lot of dog biscuit recipes. This recipe allowed me to offer just a few healthy ingredients with a “simple to make” process.
I’ve baked these treats over the past five years and hope it will be a delight for your pup.
Pumpkin Cranberry Biscuits
15 oz pure pumpkin puree
¼ c peanut butter
¼ c chopped parsley
3 c brown rice flour
½ c wheat germ toasted
¼ c dried cranberries chopped fine
½ tsp turmeric
½ tsp salt
Your recipes will always be easier to create when you have the right equipment and utensils.
- Mixing bowl for wet ingredients
- Mixing bowl for dry ingredients
- Mixing utensils (wooden spoons or spatulas)
- Baking sheet or Cookie sheet
- Parchment paper (optional) or light oil to grease the baking sheet
- All-Purpose flour to dust the greased baking sheet
- #20 size scoop or other scoop size or teaspoon
Dice the dried cranberries into fine pieces
- Mix the brown rice flour, wheat germ, cranberries, turmeric, and salt until all ingredients are blended.
- Mix in another bowl the pumpkin puree, peanut butter, parsley, and egg until ingredients are blended.
- Combine the dry ingredients with the wet elements and mix well.
- Put a cover the mixture and let the dough sit for an hour.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Optional: Line the baking sheet with parchment paper; however, if you don’t have parchment paper, lightly grease the baking sheet and dust the sheet with all-purpose flour to avoid the biscuits from sticking to the sheet.
- Using a #20 size scoop (or spoon) as the size of each dough drop, place the dough on the parchment-lined baking sheet, then flatten and score.
Optional: The dough could be flattened on the baking sheet, and using cookie cutter shapes, cut out desired shapes for a delightful look.
- Place the baking sheet with the contents in the oven and bake for 40 minutes at 350 degrees F; then drop the temperature to 200 degrees and continue baking for one hour.
Secret: I like the biscuits hard and crunchy, so I leave them in the oven after I turn it off for a few hours.
Nutritional Advantages of the Ingredients
Canned pumpkin has a higher concentration of nutrients and fiber over fresh pumpkin because the fruit has higher water content.
Raw unsalted peanut butter is an excellent source of protein, heart-healthy fats, vitamin B, E, and niacin. So peanut butter is just a great nutrient for dogs.
Parsley is known for its breath freshener; but also packs a lot of chlorophyll, vitamin K, C, A, and iron.
Rice flour is gluten-free that aids in the prevention of damage to the intestines.
Wheat germ is a great source of Omega 3, vitamin E, and Omega 6 fatty acids with added vitamins A, D3.
Cranberries are rich with antioxidants and nutrients that support the immune system and decrease inflammation. It can improve cognitive function and alleviate allergies and skin problems. Use dried with little sugar added.
Turmeric can help in maintaining pain associated with joint issues and arthritis. It’s an excellent antioxidant and immune booster.
Egg is a binder that provides high-quality protein, and saturated fat, with vitamins, iron, carotenoids, and minerals.
Salt is a preservative that also adds a bit of taste.
Have fun making this biscuit for your family pup.
Before preparing any food or snacks for your dog, seek advice from your veterinarian because they will know what’s right for your pup. Each canine family member is different, and to preserve their uniqueness and health, you should know how various foods and ingredients can affect them.